THE REWARDS OF HAPPY PIPE SMOKING
DIGNITY – CHARM – CONTENTMENT
With pipe smoking, you will enjoy a variety of flavors that no other type of smoking can offer. To discover your own individual taste in a tobacco blend, a little patience and exploration is necessary.
- The CAKE retains the flavor of each tobacco smoked.
- When trying a new blend … GIVE IT A CHANCE.
- A pipe full of this and a pipe full of that not only confuses you … but the pipe, as well!
- Let the cake of a pipe fully absorb the flavor of each new blend.
- Reserve one pipe for one particular new blend.
That First Pipe Full of Tobacco!!
When packing your new pipe Small Pinches are Best.
- First pinch — To avoid any air pocket in bottom of bowl
- Second Pinch — Should fill the bowl half full
Each Time Tamp the Tobacco Firmly but Leave a Slight Spring
Now It’s Time to Light Up
When flame is applied to the tobacco, the tobacco will rise gently.
- Apply tamper to the lit tobacco
- Tamp gently and at the same time puff gently
The tobacco is now burning towards the bottom of the bowl instead of toward the top.
Keeping Your Pipe Lit
To a steadily burning tobacco is in the packing of each individual blend. Each type of mixture bums and packs differently.
- Rough Cube Cuts – Pack firmly.
- Flake Cuts – Pack Medium Firm
- Mixed Cuts (med) – Firmly but with a slight spring
If your pipe keeps going out – You have packed your blend too tight.
CORRECTION – Insert shank poker of pipe tool into back of bowl down to air hole.
IF you get tongue bite – You have packed your blend too loose.
CORRECTION – Tamp Gently.
Smoke All The Tobacco In the Bowl
You may smoke one bowl of tobacco 3 or 4 times. Don’t Knock It Out
Tamp remaining tobacco and relight and smoke again.
The Reward. . . is a good “cake” formed all the way down into the heel of the bowl.
PROPER CAKE IS IMPORTANT! (The carbon formed on the inside of the bowl).
- The carbon absorbs moisture giving you a DRIER smoke.
- Retains the flavor of the tobacco giving you a SWEETER smoke.
Don’t K.O. Your Pipe
To Remove The Ash
- Never hit your pipe on a hard object while holding by the mouthpiece.
- When removing any remaining ash, grasp bottom of bowl, invert and tap gently.
- This way you’ll never be faced with costs of a repair.
Pipe Cleaners Are A Pipe’s Best Friend …
AFTER SMOKING your pipe, run a pipe cleaner thru the stem all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This absorbs the excess moisture. Keeps your pipe sweeter for you and for those around you.
Cool Man, Cool!!
A cool pipe gives your more flavor from both pipe and tobacco. Like foods, if they are too hot you cannot enjoy the full flavor. That’s why seasoned smokers rotate their pipes. . 2 or more during the day.
Breaking In Your New Pipe?
“Breaking in” a pipe is a trying experience suffered by the owners of new pipes that are sealed with varnish, soaked in stains inside and out. “Breaking in” is the smoking OUT of all these foreign substances from the briar. Ask us about the availability of all natural Briar pipes without stain or varnish.
Don’t Be A Pouch Hopper
You are looking for that “perfect” smoke, so give each blend at least a two ounce try.
Is “Sniffing” The Answer?
Because an aroma comes leaping out of a package doesn’t mean that you have found that mild sweet tobacco you are looking for. Much to the contrary, many sweet gentle tobaccos have no aroma at all but are savored in subtle goodness AFTER you light up.
What is a Tobacco Blender?
A blender knows what each tobacco will “do” … where each blend satisfies in strength and flavor. It is their job to help you find the right tobacco. You’ll Find This Expert Blender at Mr. Bill’s.
Care & Feeding of Your Pipe
Your Pipe is Breakable!
BIT AND TENON — The Bit is made of hard vulcanite rubber.
- The Tenon is most prone to mishap so never knock out your pipe by holding it by the bit. The tenon will snap.
- Never remove the bit from the shank when the pipe is hot. Again you will snap the tenon or split the wall of the shank. Remove bit only when pipe is cool.
BOWL AND “CAKE” — The cake is important in holding the flavor of the tobacco and controlling the moisture in the bowl. But a good thing can be overdone. Keep the cake reamed down to the thickness of a dime. If it is allowed to build up, it will expand when hot and split the sides of the bowl.
Your Pipe is Cleanable
BIT AND SHANK — About once a month, remove the bit from the shank and clean thoroughly with pipe cleaners and “Bee Pipe Sweetner.”
- The exterior of the bit can be kept bright and shiny with any commercial car cleaning abrasive.
- As your pipe darkens naturally with smoking, you can always keep it looking its best with a little olive oil… applied with your fingertips … and buffed with a soft cloth.